|Planets||Lunar Nodes||Asteroids||Fixed Stars||Eclipses||Midpoints||Parts||Transplutonian||Other Points|
The Moon represents the body and the past (past lives or wisdom gained from family heritage and upbringing). The Moon is the state you attain when you act purely on instinct and feeling. It connects us to others through reflection, we can see ourselves in other people and empathize with them. It also connects us to tradition, memories, family heritage, and to the realm of the paranormal, such as the "akashic records". All of the wisdom gained from past experience resides in the archtypal Moon. It is concerned with feelings, responsibilities and present needs, and is associated with Law and Karma. Even though it is connected with premonitions, it is not particularly forward-looking even if in a progressive sign such as Aquarius. The purpose of the Moon is to reflect, and in the birth chart it indicates how we can see ourselves in others or in our own inner dialog. The Sun shines out the message of who we want to be, but the Moon reflects back who we are.
According to Manilius, the Moon is melancholic, and presides over the right arm. The Moon is the ruling planet of Cancer. In astrology, the Moon is thought to be associated with a person's emotional make-up, unconscious habits, rhythms, memories, and moods. It is also associated with emotions in general, the mother, maternal instincts or the urge to nurture, the home, and the past. In Chinese astrology, it represents Yin.
The phase of the Moon at birth will give clues as to where we are in our soul development. People born with Sun conjunct Moon know who they are whether or not they are conscious of that early in life, and there is not much inner work to do on that level. The rest of us are in a transitional state where we are changing the nature of our essential selves due to something we have learned in a past life (or childhood, which is a mirror image of our karmic issues). However, we are not quite ready to become a new individual yet. It is analagous to a video game, in which the player needs to go through obstacles and obtain points before they can go on to the next level.
Phases & Sun/Moon Aspects
- New Moon - Sun conjunct Moon
- Waxing Crescent - Sun semisextile Moon or Sun semisquare Moon
- First Quarter - Sun square Moon
- Waxing Gibbous - Sun trine Moon or Sun sesquisquare Moon
- Full Moon - Sun opposition Moon
- Waning Gibbous - Sun trine Moon or Sun sesquisquare Moon
- Third Quarter - Sun square Moon
- Waning Crescent - Sun semisextile Moon or Sun semisquare Moon
- Alcoholics, or those who are prone to excessive drinking. (Notice that this rulership of the Moon derives from classical astrology. In contemporary astrology symbols related to alcohol and addictions are shared between the Moon and Neptune)
- Dairy products
- Emotions and emotivity
- Escape from reality
- Home country
- In male nativities, the Moon indicates the native's wife.
- Love. In a male nativity the Moon indicates love, while Venus is more related to casual affairs. For instance in a male nativity transits to the Moon may result in the native falling in love, while transits to Venus may indicate affairs and relationships based mainly on physical attraction.
- The masses, the public
- Memory and memories
- Sleep and its quality
Animals: frogs, dogs, crabs, lobsters, eels, owls, geese and ducks, tortoises, oysters, mussels.
Colors: white, or a very light green.
Nature: the Moon is a feminine and nocturnal planet, of a cold and moist nature.
Places: fountains, towns and cities by the sea, rivers, the sea, ponds, humid places in general.
Plants and herbs: cabbage, water-melon, onion, poppy, pumpkins, mushrooms and in general all plants and herbs which are round and with large leaves.
In a natal chart, the Moon rules perceptions of the outside world as mediated through oneâ€™s intuition, feelings and emotions. It symbolises the refusal to conceive of reality as something within the boundaries of a systematic and organized frameworks. Mental processes indicated by the Moon aim at achieving an holistic vision of reality.
The Moon also indicates if and in what way the native will have mutable, instinctual reactions to different situations he may encounter. It rules the nativeâ€™s intelligence, understood as the ability to understand and deal with new situation based on pure intuition, on a capacity of seeing what lies beyond appearances.
That of mental health â€“ conceived as a balanced reaction to oneâ€™s emotions, is another of the Moonâ€™s symbols. In some cases an exceptionally detrimented Moon can indicate mental instability, neuroses and other mental disturbances.
In female charts, the Moon rules oneâ€™s femininity. Its sign placement and aspects will indicate the more or less conventional approach of the native to her femininity and motherhood.
In male nativities, the Moon can be analysed to obtain information about the nativeâ€™s views of women, the kind of women he will find attractive, his relationships to his mother, his wife and women in general. It will also indicate how the native will approach his feminine side, and if this side of him will be well balanced with the more active, masculine sides of his personality.
If dignified and well aspected the Moon can indicate the following qualities: childlikeness, inexperience, trustfulness, naivete, creativity, unpredictability, intuitive perceptions. Afflictions of the Moon can conversely result in masochism, insecurity, conservatism, fear, laziness, restlessness, anguish, self-loathing.
Physical appearance, organs and parts of the body
- Body fluids
- Body hair
- The breasts and mammary glands
- Breast milk (in female nativities)
- The menstrual cycle and the menstrual flow (in female nativities)
- The ovaries
- The skin
- The uterus
Those who are strongly influenced by the Moon may have round features, be plump or have a tendency to easily gain weight â€“ or retain liquids. In general their features and bodies look round and soft, even though the native may not necessarily be overweight. The Moon gives a pale complexion, and a very white, delicate skin. The native has small hands, with short, thick and soft fingers. Sometimes one of the eyes is slightly larger than the other.
- Low blood pressure
In a synastry chart the Moon's aspects and placement can give indication on the following aspects of a relationship:
Indications drawn by the Moon's analysis need to be confirmed by the analysis of other planets.
Moon in the Signs
- Moon in Aries
- Moon in Taurus
- Moon in Gemini
- Moon in Cancer
- Moon in Leo
- Moon in Virgo
- Moon in Libra
- Moon in Scorpio
- Moon in Sagittarius
- Moon in Capricorn
- Moon in Aquarius
- Moon in Pisces
Moon in the Houses
- Moon in the first house
- Moon in the second house
- Moon in the third house
- Moon in the fourth house
- Moon in the fifth house
- Moon in the sixth house
- Moon in the seventh house
- Moon in the eighth house
- Moon in the ninth house
- Moon in the tenth house
- Moon in the eleventh house
- Moon in the twelfth house
- Lilly, William. Christian Astrology, Volume One. London: John Macock, 1659.
- Morpurgo, Lisa. Introduzione all'astrologia (An introduction to astrology). Milano: TEA, 2002.
- Morpurgo, Lisa. La natura dei pianeti (The nature of planets). Milano: TEA, 2000.
- Sementovsky-Kurilo, Nikolai. Astrologia, trattato teorico-pratico (Astrology, complete guide to theory and practice). Milano: Hoepli, 1955.