This needs work, and we welcome all comments and discussions on this, either on this talk page or in the forums. Basically, we need a unified vision of what we are doing here. This is what we have come up with so far:
- We want to be the #1 database of astrological knowledge on the web. We seek to build an exhaustive, freely available and freely usable (free-content) online resource for astrological information. This may include not only historical and reference material, but also interpretations, research, expository articles and essays that present a particular view or method.
- Our policy varies significantly from the Wikipedia "no original research" mentality, which allows only for information that can be cited from published sources. Due to the subjective nature of much astrological research, we allow users to post interpretations or essays based on their own experience and research articles based on observation and statistics (published or unpublished). Nevertheless, we will strive in every way possible to maintain objectivity and accuracy to ensure that AstrologyNotes remains a reliable resource.
- In support of accuracy and reliability, we will maintain a clear distinction between reference materials that should be properly cited and subjective materials such as interpretations and essays. Will will also encourage our users to cite statements whenever possible and to be as objective as possible in their writing.
- Open communication is key to the success of AstrologyNotes, and we should try to encourage it in any way possible. Therefore we will maintain and participate in talk pages, forums, mailing lists, newsletters and other forms of interactive communication.
- Despite the above, we want to discourage trolls, vandals and others who get on the site only to post negative, silly or offensive stuff and leave again. Toward this end we may insist that users create an account before they can edit the wiki.
- We base our rules on equality, right action and what is good for the group as a whole. Members and Administrators should never attack, dominate or humiliate anyone, and if this occurs it should be dealt with by authorities. In particular, it is not okay to denigrate a fellow member because their astrological reasoning is not based on historical and published sources. Other members can request citations or dispute facts, however.
- Administrators must be active contributors to the wiki. Forum moderators must be active participants in the forums they moderate.
- Policy and other major changes should be announced on the Bulletin board and voted on when appropriate. No votes should take place unless announced on the Bulletin, so that all users have a chance to view it. Sufficient time must be allowed to complete a voting process.
- Disputes or requests for votes can be posted on AstrologyNotes:Message Board. These must be responded to by Administrators within a reasonable amount of time.
- AstrologyNotes Administrators do have the the right to override a community vote if they determine it is really necessary to maintain the web site and its Mission, according to the Mission Statement listed here. Such an override should be extremely rare and used with great caution, and should be unanimously accepted among the Admins.
- It costs money and time to run a web site like this. AstrologyNotes should become self-maintaining, through contributions, ads, classes or other money-making activities. However, any methods of acquiring revenue through AstrologyNotes must keep the organization free from compromise by association with other people or organizations which might attempt to control the content or influence of AstrologyNotes.
- AstrologyNotes should eventually be made into a not for profit or non-profit entity, ruled by a board. This will be done when AstrologyNotes has produced enough revenue to do so, and a sufficient number of suitable board members can be obtained.
- Until AstrologyNotes can be made into a nonprofit foundation and a board of trustees is created, the Founder will act with full powers to make unilateral decisions. The purpose of this is to nurture the site that she and others have poured so much time, effort and money into to bring to its current state.